Challenge #2: Safety and Dimmer update
- CFLs each contain a small amount of Mercury. So, don't throw them away in the trash. Recycle them with other household hazardous waste. http://www.io.com/~dstroup/mercury.html, http://www.grist.org/advice/ask/2006/06/12/smell/
- Also, keep CFLs away from children. If the bulbs are broken, the Mercury can be released. Mercury is a neurotoxin that can be most dangerous to young children or childbearing (or breastfeeding) mothers and their offspring.
- Regular CFLs cannot be used in fixtures with dimmers. Be sure to read the package to find out if the bulb that you are purchasing will work with a dimmer. http://www.grist.org/advice/ask/2006/06/07/dimmer/